*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Friday, December 6, 2013

Email from Badalona

Familia!!!! Qué tal???

Wow how are you all?? I´m sorry, you´ve heard from me 3 times this week haha! But I still feel like it´s been ages since i´ve talked to you cause I haven´t been able to read any emails! But how was Thanksgiving?? (I¨m so sorry, this keyboard is crazy, like half the buttons don´t work, so forgive my terrible typing haha). It sounds like it was super mellow for Mom and Dad haha. I hope it was good though- I want to hear all about it! And Lizzie- how is Molly Mouse? I´m so sad I can´t see it this year! I hope it was amazing. Thank you Mom SO much again for the package- it literally saved me haha. It was the end of the month when I got here, so we haven´t had any food- seriously- so the package has been what I'm living off- so thank you SO so much!!!!

Wow! I have so much to tell you all I feel like!! So I told you that I left the CCM Tuesday morning and it was crazy cause I didn´t get the memo we were leaving at 5:45 haha. It really was like a movie putting my boots on as I´m running out the door. It was super sad and rushed saying bye to Hermana Shelton! But the adventure just continued, with me falling down the escalator after my suitcases and all sorts of things haha. oh goodness. The elders were so great in looking after me though. The native elders kept waking me up on the train to make sure I was okay. haha.

So we got there and did lots of stuff--met the Paces and they are great! They know our family and all the connections and everything, so that was really fun. We went to a really cool fortress that is gorgeous. That night, we had exchanges, and a native sister and I went out with 2 Hermanas and taught with them that night. We visited a less active member and I just bore my testimony haha. It was a good night, but I was super tired but that´s all right :)

Then Thursday we had trainings and things and a big pizza lunch, and all found out our trainers! Okay for any Brighton people out there- get this! One of the Senior missionary elders gave me a plate and said "Do you want to creep?" I was so confused and kept having him repeat it. Then he said, "Giggle, do you want to creep and pray?" (only Brighton peeps will understand). I almost died!!! They were Midge and Maverick-they worked at Brighton for a bunch of years until 2011. I was so happy that we talked about it forever, and he cried as we talked because he loves it so much. It was the sweetest thing in the world.

Then we found out our trainers!!! It was way scary haha! But the best thing ever. Okay- Hermana Tyler is the best. She is from Northern Cali- like Oakland area. She is SO GREAT!!! She´s really fun and so funny- we laugh all the time. She is really chill, which I love, but she works really hard and she loves this work. She is so awesome cause she helps me, but never patronizes me or anything like that. She is seriously the perfect trainer, I can´t tell you how great she is. I am SO grateful for her. She has been out for about 7 months- she was trained, then she was sent here to Badalona to train and open the area. Crazy right? And then she´s training again for me. The ward absolutely adores her, which is so fun.

Okay, so our ward! They are the BEST! Our ward is so incredible- they are so warm and loving and welcoming- they seriously feel like a family to me and I've known them a week. They are amazing! So our ward covers a third of Badalona and we have 2 sets of elders in our ward too, so that´s fun. They are all from Utah and they´re awesome. But we have our own area of about 5 metro stops- that´s the only way I know how to measure haha. But I seriously love love lvoe this ward. We had a welcome party for an elder that just got home and it was So fun! They kept giving us food and making us feel so good and they treat us like family. Yesterday, church was really good! It was a little overwhelming because there´s so much to remember, but I loved it. I was asked to bear my testimony, and it was so fun! I just introduced myself and bore testimony and I hope it was all right. I had fun doing it though :) So last night we went to choir, and guess what- I´m officially the new choir pianist haha. They have ZERO music talent in Spain, so they all jumped on my terrible skills haha. But guess what song we are singing in choir? Yes- Oh Little Town Of Bethlehem- why we choose the hardest Christmas hymn? No idea haha. But the director asked me to teach the altos how to sing harmony, so I´m playing this crazy hard hymn and trying to find the crazy insane alto line, and keeping up with the choir haha. It was so fun though! And then a bunch of people asked me to teach them Christmas songs, so I played a bunch and taught them how to sing them and it was so fun! I loved it. Man, I'm grateful for the tiny piano skills I have. Parents- make SURE your children can play hymns cause it will bless SO many lives!!

So our schedule- is the best. We wake up at 7:30!! woot woot!! It´s so good I love it. It´s cause everyone in Spain stays up super late and gets up late, so we have to be in our apartment by 10 and in bed by 11:30. Its the best! And then at 2 is mediodia, and everything shuts down. So we have 2 hours to eat, hang out, and do language study. It´s awesome!

Weather- is freezing. Everyone said Barcelona was so mild and I´d never be cold! SIKE! It´s super cold haha. I wear my coat all day, even when we´re inside cause it´s so cold. It´s humid cold, so it goes right through you haha. But it just makes it all the more exciting! The first couple days in our piso we didn´t have heating, but I messed around with it and finally got it to work. Praise be!

Okay investigators- we don´t have very many haha. But- we committed one to baptism this week! So José has been working with the missionaries for a few months and has had a few baptism dates, but hasn´t ever gone through with them. So this week we taught him and then I said the baptism committment, and he accepted! Hermana Tyler said that this time it was different- it was sincere and real this time. I hope so so much! I´m so excited.

So since we don´t have many investigators, we are working super hard to find them! We contact pretty much all day, except for when we visit less actives or ward members. We worked super hard this week to contact. Hermana Tyler keeps saying how surprised she is at my enthusiasm for contacting cause I guess most people hate it. It is super exhausting, but you just have to go for it and laugh at things that go wrong. I just go up to everyone and try, and we´ve had so many funny stories. But I am just trying to work super hard so the Lord blesses us with people to teach, and I know He will. This work is crazy exhausting, but so good. I love it. I´m so excited to find people to teach. This week we will be a lot busier cause we've gotten some references and things, so that will be good!!!!

This work is amazing! I´ll be honest, this week has been hard cause it´s a big adjustment from the comforts of the MTC, and it´s super exhausting. My Spanish is gettting better, but still is bad. I can understand people when they speak slowly, but everyione speaks so fast! haha! But I understood most of church yesterday, so that was good. I would be a lot more confident in my Spanish if it wasn´t for subjunctive- this crazy grammar principle that changes everything haha. But my Spanish is coming along, and I know the Lord will help me as I continue to study. It´s super scary to teach and things cause I can´t think of everything I want to say on the spot, but it´s good. :)

I love this work! It´s super hard, but amazing. I found that you just have to laugh and find things that are funny, and you´re fine. I´m trying to embrace every moment and not wait until I'm fluent or anything to enjoy it here. This morning I was reading in 1 Cor 1:27 and it says that the Lord calls the weak to confound the strong in the world. He called a bunch of teenagers who don´t know anything about anything to do His greatest work! It´s incredible. I know the Lord will bless us so much if we just work as hard as we can and trust Him. Being a missionary is incredibly humbling, but I know the Lord will bless us and I am just constantly praying to be an instrument in His hands, however that happens.

I´m sorry that was so long, I just had so much to tell you!!! I love you all so so so much I can´t even tell you how much I love you!!!!!

Love, Hermana Boyer :)

PS- for Christmas, we Skype home, so I don´t know how we want to do that with everyone being in different places. I´m not sure if I can use gotomeeting.com but that might work. But maybe you all could talk about what might be the best thing. That will be so fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment