*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Castles, Coughs, and Contacts

Hola familia!!

Que pasa?? I´m so sorry it took me longer to write today! We went to Tibidabo this morning!!!!! Like, the most famous castle in Barcelona! It was unreal!

But how are you all doing?? How was everyone´s week? How is the nasty inversion? Ugh I hate those haha. You´ve all been skiing it up I hear??? Ah, I'm so jealous it hurts haha. Today on the metro they showed a skiing video and I got butterflies in my stomach haha. I miss it so much!!


This week flew so fast!!! Things are good in Badalona!!! We are working super hard. I had probably the worst cold I've ever had this week haha, but that´s okay!!! We´ve been working super hard anyway. On Wednesday we contacted all day in the rain and it started my cold all over again haha. But that´s all right, I didn´t mind. I learned the hard way that cold medicine from Spain makes you incredibly sleepy haha. But it´s cool--who needs medicine anyway?!

Okay we have an investigator!!!! So remember Cesar--the guy who was totally drunk when we had a cita with him?? We had a real one this week!!! He was so good. He really is so humble and so ready for the Gospel, he just has some problems to deal with haha. But ah, I love him so much! So we had a Lesson 0-- where we teach them about the Book of Mormon, teach them how to pray, and invite them to baptism. In our mission, we are supposed to invite people to be baptized the first lesson haha. It´s so scary! I´m still praying to gain a testimony of that because it scares people haha. But President Pace is really strong on that, so I'm going to do it. So we taught him about the Book of Mormon and he was so excited--he pulled out a highlighter and colored Moroni´s promise! That probably doesn´t sound like anything special, but for an investigator, that´s huge! It was so cute. We tried to commit him to baptism, but he didn´t want to because he was afraid he´d disappoint us. But we´ll try again this week :) But the best part was that after we taught him to pray, he said his first prayer and he loved it! After, he kept saying how good he felt and that he had never felt like that before. Yay!!! Investigators' first prayers are the best thing ever. The only problem with him is that he plays soccer with his friends every Sunday and he doesn´t want to give it up cause he´s been doing it for like 20 years. But we are going to keep trying--yesterday we went to his house to get him for church anyway haha but he had already gone. But he is super good and we are going to get him baptized!!!!
So Enrique, the guy who went to Sweden, we haven´t heard from and he´s not answering his phone. Gabriel--the super good investigator, doesn´t answer our calls either and we are super sad. Story of our lives haha! But that´s okay!

So this week we contacted like crazy! We tried to talk to at least 50 people everyday! The first day we talked to 57 people and the 41st was the first one who listened to us haha. But that´s all right, we had a lot of fun anyway. It feels so good to talk to that many people and leave them with a card at least. But we got some numbers and addresses this week so hopefully those work out!

So Nelly, the woman we found from Bolivia who is a member, is amazing! We visit her every week and she is so strong. This week we watched the Restoration video with her and it was the best! She loved it so much. She told us about her life and she has been through some heart-wrenching things, and we just cried together. She told us how much she loves us coming and how grateful she is to have the Gospel back in her life. I feel as strongly about her as I do about Jose, who we baptized--it´s the same joy as a baptism because we brought her back to the Gospel! Well, the Lord did it all, we were just the hands and feet for it. But I love her so much, she is so sweet and I just love her family too!!!!

Rosalia, who we met in her bar, fed us this week. She is super sweet, but doesn´t want to listen to our messages or anything. Her daughter does though, and she´s super good. We are still trying to get her to church. But we will make it happen--we are bringing that family back no matter what it takes!!!!

So, Spanish is coming along!!! I´m realizing that my Spanish is a lot better than when I first got here haha. I used to find myself translating my thoughts into Spanish, but now I just find myself thinking in Spanish, so that's good! I can understand a lot better now, which helps a ton. I can say pretty much what I want to, but I'm still working on my grammar haha. Spanish pronunciation and vocab is a piece of cake, but man the grammar is wild! Subjunctive is a whole different way of speaking and it´s crazy! But I´m getting it down and I love it. The biggest thing I'm learning is how to have my personality in Spanish haha. But I´m learning how to tease people and have fun and express myself in Spanish and it´s so fun. I love it!!!!!!

Today was so so so fun!!! We went to Tibidabo--a really old castle with a cathedral inside that is on a hill overlooking all of Barcelona. It has a huge figure of Christ that you can see from all over the city! It´s amazing--the view was gorgeous!!!!! The elders brought food and we had a picnic at the top, right at the base of the statue´s feet with the prettiest view ever haha. It was so fun! Then we went to the beach--just looked out over the ocean and it´s so pretty I can barely stand it. I got really homesick for Balboa for a second when we were standing on the pier and smelling the sea air!!! Ah, it was so fun! I love Spain so so so much!!!!!!! Last preparation day we went to a huge mall and we went shopping with the elders. It was funny cause the European elders--our district leader from Austria, and two elders in our district from London-- knew everything about fashion, telling us what looks good on us and stuff. The American elders had no clue about anything of course haha. It was funny!

Well, life is really good here!! I´m learning that numbers are important here, but not everything. Sometimes it's kind of hard being in the same ward as the other 2 sets of elders, who baptize every week. But we are being super obedient, we are working as hard as we can, and we have a lot of faith--so the Lord is definitely blessing us with miracles. I´m learning that no effort goes wasted and that even if we aren't baptizing every week, we are still affecting people. Even today at Tibidabo we got talking to a man from Mexico and his wife and he said, "Oh wait, I was baptized into your church when I was younger!" He asked a ton about it and was super excited cause he had forgotten. Even little things like that make a huge difference in people´s lives. Hermana Tyler and I are doing more behind-the-scenes work--bringing lots of less actives back and strengthening ward members that need it, planting lots of seeds everywhere. It´s not the spotlight work that the elders have--baptizing all the time, but it´s wonderful. I have faith that the Lord has blessings in store for us every day and I´m so grateful for that. I love this Gospel so much! Every chance I have to bear my testimony is a huge blessing and I love it. I love every minute of this work, no matter how hard it is. I wouldn't be anywhere else!

I love you all so much it hurts! Thank you a thousand times over for your prayers and your love and your letters and support! I cant believe how lucky I am to have the best family in the world! I love you all so so so so much!!!!

Love, Hermana Boyer :)


PS: I´ve been kicking myself for not knowing more about all your missions because I was so young when they happened! Any stories, advice, regrets, anything you have- tell me! I would love to hear more about them and I've been thinking about them a lot!!!! I love you all!

PS again: I will try to send pictures but this computer I'm on is ancient so I don´t think it can haha. Also the keyboard is super trippy, so I´m sorry my spelling is the worst!

No comments:

Post a Comment